Iranian students heckle khatami

News, Commentaries & Political Discussions on Iran

Moderators: Club Operations, Web Operations, Political Operations

Iranian students heckle khatami

Postby Irani » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:55 pm

Last edited by Irani on Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irani
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Liberator » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:12 pm

Iranian students heckle Khatami Mon. 6 Dec 2004
Reuters
By Parisa Hafezi

TEHRAN - Students, once the backbone of Iran's reformist movement, have barracked and harangued President Mohammad Khatami, accusing him of lacking the courage to deliver promised democratic reforms in the Islamic state.

"Khatami, what happened to your promised freedoms?", "Khatami, shame on you", "Students are wise, they detest Khatami" groups shouted as the moderate cleric attempted to address a group of about 1,500 students at Tehran University on Monday.

The speech, held to mark Iran's annual Students Day, marked a nadir for Khatami's relations with students who were a major force in his stunning electoral victories of 1997 and 2001.

Now nearing the end of his second and final term, which concludes in mid-2005, Khatami has lost the backing of even some of his most ardent supporters, many of whom feel he failed to stand up to hardliners who have blocked his efforts at reform.

Khatami, visibly shaken by the students' anger, defended his record and criticised powerful hardliners who have jailed dissidents, closed newspapers and rejected key reform bills.

"My period is going to be over soon but I do not owe anyone," he said. "Those power-seeking fanatics who ignored the people's demands and resisted reforms, they owe me. The ones who destroyed Iran's image in the world, they owe me."

LAME DUCK

Analysts say Khatami, once seen by the West as a great hope for change in the Islamic Republic, is serving out his final months as a virtual political lame duck.

Islamic conservatives opposed to any watering down of Islamic values and the clerical grip on power are poised to regain the presidency in elections next year after taking control of parliament in a vote in February 2004.

At times applauded and at others booed by the boisterous crowd jammed into a university lecture theatre, Khatami lashed out with uncharacteristic anger when chants forced him to interrupt his speech.

"Just stop it. I will tell them to throw you out," he said. "You are unable to tolerate anything, even words," he said.

Later he said that despite restrictions on free speech in Iran, where over 100 publications have been muzzled in the last four years, the situation was better than in many countries.

"There is no Third World country where the students can talk to their president and criticise the government as you do now," he said. "You are freely chanting slogans against the government."

He said he still believed the path of reform would succeed.

"I really believe in this system and the (1979 Islamic) revolution and I believe this system can be developed from the inside," he said.

But for most present, Khatami's words merely underlined the impotence of a man who they now view as part of a system which is unwilling to accept real change.

"Khatami himself is responsible for the problems created in the country," said Zahra, 19, a student of mechanical engineering. "He did not behave properly."

Many students, who make up a key part of the electorate in a country where two-thirds are aged under 30 and the voting age is 15, say their disillusionment with Khatami's failed promises mean they will not vote in next year's elections.

http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/news/arti...php?storyid=934

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KHATAMI = DEAD MAN WALKING!
"IRI REFORMIST" = "IRI CONSERVATIVE" = SAME SHIITE!

This bastard will face justice soon in a liberated, democratic Iran! I'm surprised they didn't TEAR HIM TO PIEACES at this gathering!
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" -J.F.K
Liberator
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

"I see the Islamic revolution as the most popular revolution," Khatami added, in a comment that instead drew chants of "REFERENDUM!" from parts of the audience.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" -J.F.K
Liberator
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Iranian students protest against regime and mandatory veil
SMCCDI (Information Service)
Dec 6, 2004

Hundreds of Iranian students gathered at the occasion of the official and governmental sponsored "Students Day", in Tehran University's amphitheater, in order to denounce persistent repression. Thousands of more gathered in the campus and in front of the univeristy.

Slogans were shouted against the regime and its leaders during officials speeches, such as, the one made by Mohammad Khatami. "Freedom, Freedom", "Enough lies", "Student is Angry, Rejecting Khatami" were heard at several occasion forcing an angry and threatening Khatami and other speakers to cut each time their speeches.

Many female students protested against the mandatory veil which is one of the basis of the regime's gender apartheid by carrying placards condemning the chador.

Some students were calling for an end to the theocratic regime and a real election on the choice of the future Secular Iranian regime. Other were requesting the release of all political prisoners and especially held students and teachers.

Other were denouncing the desperate try of Bassij students intending to use the students gathering in order to carry anti-US propaganda. Students took their distances with these elements by souting "Down with Taleban, In Kabul and in Tehran".

The protest actions were made despite heavy security presence.

The situation at Tehran University and many other Academic institution are very tense despite the fact that many students didn't participate as they do believe that the real "Students Day" is the date of July 9th.

Several Academies are on strike, such as, Esafahan and Ghazvin in which violent clashes happened last week between the students and members of the regime security forces resulting in the destruction of many public materials and arrest of several students.

http://www.daneshjoo.org/cgi-bin/messagebo...t=ST;f=1;t=2344
Liberator
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Postby Liberator » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:13 pm

Chador = Prison for a woman

A female student holds an anti-Chador (Islamic veil ) poster during a speech of Iranian President Mohammad Khatami, unseen, in a ceremony to mark Student Day at Tehran university in Tehran, Iran, Monday, Dec. 6, 2004

A female Iranian student heckles Mollah Khatami with a Hezbollahi braindead person sitting in the back and like a nice obedient guspand holds up a a picture of the terrorist Ayatollah Khameini.

Keep your mouth shut mollah! You will face justice in front of the Iranian people with the rest of your co-workers/actors!

You're lucky you didn't get TORN INTO PIEACES!

"Just stop it! I will tell them to throw you out!" he said. "You are unable to tolerate anything, even words," Threatening to throw the students out!!! kesafaat...

Shutting students out!!! Trying to silence the voices of the Iranian nation!

And then we have this kesafaat sitting amongst all the SHIITE going on in Iran! What has this country come to! Flush these filth down the drain now!

-----------------------------------

God bless the Iranian students fighting islamic tyranny under unimaginable conditions! More power to freedom loving people of Iran! Victory is ours!
Liberator
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Postby Liberator » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:45 pm

Mollah Khatami:

"If I retreated, I retreated against the system I believed in," said Khatami to Tehran University students some openly angry with the man they once saw as the best hope for democracy in Iran. "I considered it necessary to save the ruling establishment."

"Either we had to hold the elections or face riots," Khatami said in the first of several farewell speeches. "I didn't consider it in the country's interests that riots erupt."

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=306171
Liberator
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Postby Liberator » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:20 pm

Mullah Ali Khamenii's representative has threatenned that those students who INSULTED Khatami during his speech will be pursued and severly punished:

http://www.iranpressnews.com/source/001806.htm

WANTED MUSLIM TERRORIST!
Liberator
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Postby Liberator » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:01 pm

Summary of the Student's Day Demonstration: "One Day Taliban Will Flee Iran Too"

President Khatami went to the main lecture theatre of the Tehran university yesterday on the occasion of the National Student Day in Iran. At first the organisers had tried to let in only the selected Baseej and Islamic Society members, but a large crowd of the students, some with placards, waited outside singing the 'Ey Iran' banned national anthem and the student solidarity anthems.

As Khatami started to speak even a few of those who were allowed in started to heckle his speech and pointed to their comrades who were left outside. Eventually the sheer force of the throng of the students outside broke the doors and pushed their way in. Fighting broke out between the security and the students who had barged their way in. Khatami visibly looking distressed pleaded with the security to let the students in and not harm them.

One student who was bleeding from his face after clashing with security, managed to get himself to the microphone. He showed his beaten face and the students shouted at the security "Savages, Savages". The beaten student then said to the President, "From early hours of this morning, only selected students have been allowed to enter the hall. Seven years ago they said you had the support of the students. Look what's happened after seven years!" He then gave a quick brief account of what had happened to students in the last seven years.

Khatami apologised to him and said obviously the officials had made a mistake and should have catered for more room in the hall. As the students shouted 'Khatami Shame Shame,' the president looked on and gave his customary smile.

Khatami carried on saying, "I have not retreated from anyone or anything but from the Islamic Republic establishment, only because I believe in our system."

Students referred to the hand picked parliament and shouted, "What happend to free elections?"

Looking despondent Khatami replied, "There is room for discussion on that."

Then the students shouted slogans calling the secretary of the Guardian Council the "enemy of the nation." Khatami looking confused mistakenly thought they meant him and snapped, "If you think you represent the people then I am the enemy of the people." The chairman explained to President Khatami that the students had in fact addressed the Guardian Council member and not him.

Khatami by now looking exhausted said "Lets end it and leave anymosity and friendships for another time'.

Students who were still stranded outside the hall kept shouting more radical slogans:

"Referendum, Referendum, This is the cry of the Nation"

"Free all Political Prisoners"

"One Day Taliban Will have to Flee Iran too"

Those standing by the gates between the security forces and passers by outside the university were also shouting:

"People what we ask for is, what you ask for - Lend us your support"

Alliance of Iranian Students
(http://www.daneshjooyan.org)

http://www.daneshjooyan.org/english/commun...04/071204a.html
Liberator
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Postby Liberator » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:02 pm

Khatami speaking to Iranian students:

"Don't create a situation that I would have to ask them to kick you out!! .... ACT LIKE HUMANS!!

You are young ...... You don't know what the equation is ......

If you are the representer of the state ..... Then I am the enemy of the state ...... !!!!!!????? (Khatami answer, to the angry students)"

http://www.krsi.net/news/detail.asp?NewsID=862

Listen:
http://media.krsi.net/krsi_archive/news/khatami.wma

Ba Sepaas
Liberator
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Postby Irani » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:05 pm

Video/Transcript: Khatami Clashes with Students at Tehran University

http://www.iranvajahan.net/cgi-bin/news ... 2&d=09&a=1
Irani
Private First Class
Private First Class

Return to Iran Room