NCRI - Fact or Fiction!

News, Commentaries & Political Discussions on Iran

Moderators: Club Operations, Web Operations, Political Operations

Postby Liberator » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:05 am

Survivors' Report: Iranian Mojahedin Accepts Defeat -- Rejects Armed Struggle

http://www.payvand.com/news/06/jan/1217.html

WASHINGTON, Jan. 25 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The following was released today by Survivors' Report, the publication name of the Association to support the victims of Mojahedin-e Khalq (MKO/MEK):

A source close to the National Council of Resistance of Iran -- led by Massoud Rajavi and Maryam Rajavi -- has stated to Survivors' Report on condition of anonymity:

"A few years ago the Mojahedin Khalq started to take their case to the court of the European Union to come out of the list of Terrorist organizations in Europe.

"According to their own statements, they hired squadrons of lawyers and advisors and were very hopeful that the result would be in their favor.

"A court session is scheduled in early February 2006 in Luxemburg to hear this case.

"The Mojahedin have spent the past few years gathering petitions and letters of support from whoever they could get their hands on, but their lawyers and advisors have told them clearly that for their organization to be removed from the lists of terrorist organizations, they will have to clearly and unequivocally denounce terrorism as a means to achieve their political aims, and that they have to announce that they clearly and totally reject armed struggle (freedom fighting) and do not believe in it any more, and from now on, their struggle against the Iranian regime will be only in the form of political, social and cultural activities.

"The Mojahedin have now accepted this advice and have declared to the relevant officials that: The Mojahedin Khalq Organisation rejects armed struggle and commits itself only to non-violent means of struggle and therefore asks the relevant authorities to remove it from the lists of terrorist organizations."

-- Iranian Mojahedin reportedly accepts defeat of its thirty-year armed struggle.

-- Source close to NCR says officials in Europe told: "The Mojahedin Khalq Organisation rejects armed struggle and commits itself only to non-violent means of struggle and therefore asks the relevant authorities to remove it from the lists of terrorist organizations."

This recent announcement by the Mojahedin Khalq Organisation is in total contradiction to what has been portrayed to the members and supporters who have been led to believe that armed struggle is the only form of struggle possible, and that it is rooted in the history of the Mojahedin as its most fundamental value.

The Mojahedin have always talked about armed struggle as the honor and legacy of the movement, and that it represents the basic red line between the Mojahedin and the outside world.

If true, this new rejection of armed struggle (which has been the core belief in the organization for the last 25 years) can be seen as the biggest ideological setback for the leaders of the organization since the fall of Saddam Hussein in 2003. This reflects the last desperate attempts by the leaders to delay the total disintegration of the organization by accepting big losses in their remaining loyal forces.

EDITOR'S NOTE:

Survivors' Report is the publication name of the Association to support the victims of Mojahedin-e Khalq (MKO/MEK). The Association comprises several groups of and individual former members of the MKO/MEK in Europe and North America.

Survivors' Report acts as a pressure group/support organization which provides a point of contact for families and friends of members of the Iranian Mojahedin-e Khalq. It informs about the real nature of the Mojahedin as a religious/personality cult; exposes the Mojahedin's abuse of its members' fundamental human rights; pinpoints responsibility for the terrorist actions and human rights abuses of the Mojahedin on leaders, Massoud Rajavi and Maryam Rajavi; helps individuals who wish to leave the Mojahedin to find refuge; assists those who leave the Mojahedin come to terms with their experiences within and re-establish themselves in the wider community; and reunites people who leave the Mojahedin with their family and friends.

For further information, please contact:

Survivors' Report in the UK:
Anne Singleton (editor), Tel.: +44-113-278-0503

Related Web Sites:

* Iran Didban
* Iran Interlink
* Survivors' Report - January 2006
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" -J.F.K
Liberator
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Postby Liberator » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:04 pm

LOL can't believe I came across this today but I thought it needed to be posted here since I raised this issue earlier!!

Can't wait to read Minoo Mojahed's :lachak: reply to this!!! or maybe she will bring Brother SahandK to address the audience loooooooooool

Here are some of the MOJAHEDIN PAID FOREIGN demonstrators (UN Demonstration 2005). Hope that "Q" accepts this as well since I see that he did not believe in the allegations...

Source:
http://amir.irani-tehrani.com/?page_id=32

The English supporters of the Moj United.

Their chaperon.

Hispanics for Masud

The Workers’ Communist Party of Iran and the International
retro-groovers of the world uniting.

Sam, an English Mujahedin supporter
who was kind enough to answer some of my questions.

Swedes for Mujahedin. I didn’t get to speak to this guy,
his minder was gonna kick my ass.

The Ionian columns, the wooden bronze lions, the flowers…
I don’t know which one to fall in love with: The President or the Supreme Leader

Here's Amir's take on the whole event:

http://amir.irani-tehrani.com/?p=29

[quote]Part I: The WORs and their Bolondi-Lashkar

This morning I got up around ten and had breakfast while watching parts of judge Roberts’ Supreme Court confirmation hearing. Around 11:15, I took off for the UN. I was there around 11:40 and stayed some 20 minutes before heading back downtown to teach my 12:30 intensive course. After my class I again headed up and this time arriving perhaps around 2:30, stayed until a little past 4. I took many pictures, some of which might actually be good. I know that many will not come out right because I am still not used to operating Randa’s camera.

Upon getting closer to the area designated for demonstrations, I was surprised, by not only the great number of Iranian demonstrators alongside other disparate constituencies with grievances (for which they would then want to petition some idea of the united nations, for whatever that means,) but also by the overwhelming show put on by the MKO or MEK or “Council of Resistanceâ€
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" -J.F.K
Liberator
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Postby Liberator » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:53 pm

The only good thing about MKO (and 1000 other names it has) is that they are ORGANIZED and UNITED - so much so that they are willing to put themselves on fire in protest of their leaders arrest (Paris...) !!! If they at least put themselves on fire for Iran and not their cult leader it would be something else (still wouldn't agree with it but better than setting yourself on fire because of a cult leader!)

Anyways here's a clip I found on them (Minoo/SahandK and the rest of the terrorist supporters: you can thank me once you've left this cult!)

Organization and unity amongst the terrorist Islamo-Marxist Mojahedin is the only positive thing that the Iranian opposition can learn from these traitors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL76m8pxIPk

Ba Sepaas
Liberator
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Postby Winston06 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:48 pm

MKO/MEK/NCRI/PMOI.....etc is a filthy cult consisted of traitors, terrorists and crazy fanatics!

That's a fact and the traitors stood against the Iranian people any time they could.

You MEK stupid supporters, ask yourself why you are HATED by the Iranians and you'll no longer argue that your stupid MAFIA like cult is popular in Iran or not!

The last thing I want for Iran is Islamo-marxism
Winston06
Private

Postby Liberator » Mon May 22, 2006 1:59 pm

I've found more pictures of the Mojahedin's paid FOREIGN demonstrators:

Danish Mojahed's ](*,)

African Mojahed's ](*,)

One wonders where the Mojahedin (MKO, NCRI etc) get the money to HIRE foreign demonstrators to their demonstrations?

If Monarchists, AP or Lib, need to come up with a new story to accuse Mojahedin for another new wrong deed or crime or misfit, they are surely picking up a very bad rumor, story or accusation!

To accuse Mojahedin of <paying up> anything to anyone, is the same as accusing Jews or Scots or Dutch to <Generosity>! Smile

It is impossible for Mojahedin to pay a dime to anyone to protest! To take a dime from a Mojahed is like to take a cube of cheese from a starving mouse! Mojaheds have a Taking Hand, and never a Giving Hand!

Monarchists need to come up with a better story to cover up for their disaster of only 300 people showing up for RP and 20,000 showing up for MJ.

Better luck for next excuse Lib.

Qambujiye are you ready to take back your comments?

Minoo and other Mojahed's we didn't expect better from you guys.
Read the whole article here in french: http://www.iran-resist.org/article444

Ba Sepaas
Liberator
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Postby Qambujiye » Tue May 30, 2006 12:28 pm

Lib:

Before I leave for a political mission, I would like to respond.

I Wrote:
To accuse Mojahedin of <paying up> anything to anyone, is the same as accusing Jews or Scots or Dutch to <Generosity>! Smile

To take a dime from a Mojahed is like to take a cube of cheese from a starving mouse! Mojaheds have a Taking Hand, and never a Giving Hand!

Monarchists need to come up with a better story to cover up for their disaster of only 300 people showing up for RP and 20,000 showing up for MJ.

Lib Wrote:

I am not taking back anything, you know why?

This doesn't count! Mojaheds have a Taking Hand, and never a Giving Hand! They paid up for the travel/expenses of foreigners, not for the sake of "Giving" and in spirit of "Comradery" but they done it for their own political motives. They spent the money for their own agenda. They did not give for spirit of giving. I still say: Mojaheds have a Taking Hand, and never a Giving Hand! If you don't believe me, go to any global airport, train station, bus station and you will see a group of Mojaheds standing next to Hari-Krishnas, both hitting the crowed and begging for $$$$$$$$$$$$.

I also still say that RP fans were not 3000. Monarchists exaggerated as usual. Monarchists are famous for exaggerative stories. Just read Aryo Pirouznia's Bull Shit (SMCCDI) and see for yourself!

Lib, I didn't take back my remarks, but as a fellow IPC Op. comrade, I'm found of you and keep up the good work that you do. Take care.

Q
Freedom doesn't come cheap,
Freedom comes with Blood.
Qambujiye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Liberator » Tue May 30, 2006 1:43 pm

Qambujiye wrote:Lib:

Before I leave for a political mission, I would like to respond.

I Wrote:

To take a dime from a Mojahed is like to take a cube of cheese from a starving mouse! Mojaheds have a Taking Hand, and never a Giving Hand!

Lib Wrote:

I am not taking back anything, you know why?

This doesn't count! Mojaheds have a Taking Hand, and never a Giving Hand! They paid up for the travel/expenses of foreigners, not for the sake of "Giving" and in spirit of "Comradery" but they done it for their own political motives. They spent the money for their own agenda. They did not give for spirit of giving. I still say: Mojaheds have a Taking Hand, and never a Giving Hand! If you don't believe me, go to any global airport, train station, bus station and you will see a group of Mojaheds standing next to Hari-Krishnas, both hitting the crowed and begging for $$$$$$$$$$$$.

I also still say that RP fans were not 3000. Monarchists exaggerated as usual. Monarchists are famous for exaggerative stories. Just read Aryo Pirouznia's Bull Shit (SMCCDI) and see for yourself!

Lib, I didn't take back my remarks, but as a fellow IPC Op. comrade, I'm found of you and keep up the good work that you do. Take care.

Q

Dear Q,

You had written:

If Monarchists, AP or Lib, need to come up with a new story to accuse Mojahedin for another new wrong deed or crime or misfit, they are surely picking up a very bad rumor, story or accusation!

This is what made me search for more information to prove that i'm not wrong and not spreading lies.

Then you wrote:

It is impossible for Mojahedin to pay a dime to anyone to protest!

Which I have proven wrong as they have obviously used themselves of paid protestors.

Now you are saying:

They paid up for the travel/expenses of foreigners, not for the sake of "Giving" and in spirit of "Comradery" but they done it for their own political motives.

The accusation that I made was not whether they had paid anyone out of "comradership" or such but the accusation I had made was that the Mojaheding had paid foreigners to demonstrate for them. Of course they've paid them for political motives! Mojahedin will do anything to further their cause and make them bigger than what they are; be it number of supporters or amount of support they have in Iran. The paid demonstrators have been proved to be correct and you've even acknowledged it in this statement - so even if you tried to cover up with the "comradership" part :D I still got what I wanted - an acknowledgment by you that the Mojaheding uses paid demonstrators.

I also still say that RP fans were not 3000.

I haven't made statements in agreement of or rejecting that number. My estimate would be that they were between 400-800. There's no need to argue this though as it's history now. There were a significant number of Iranians there voicing their opposition to the IRI and that's what matters.

Good luck with your assignment.

Ba Sepaas
Liberator
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Postby kallehpook » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:38 pm

salam be Ghambujiye jan. ey kalak khob ba maryam hal mikoni ha.
ghorboonet beram
kallehpook
kallehpook
Private

Postby Liberator » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:20 am

This is Haj-Khanoom's reply to the exposure of MKO having to HIRE demonstrators to come to their demonstrators; I don't think it needs a reply:

SAVAK-che:

At least we have the money that we collect from our members like Sahand and myself to pay for our operations or air fares of our non Iranian brothers and sisters who sympathize with fighting our cause, but SAVAK-baan (Fool-Advand), SAVAK-bitch (Shirin Neshat), SAVAK-Residue (Reza Pahlavi), SAVAK-gooz-bacheha (Derafsh carriers in LA and London) cant even collect $3000 to buy a new suit and matching shoes for RP to present himself in CIA! LOL

You are so funny, you make me laugh so hard that tears are in my eyes! Good try buddy.

Have you ever met a real woman fighter? Not Anjomane Koon Goshadi, Sarbazan or other bull shit Monarchist organizations which hold their meetings in Club X or Club Tehran? LOL

Buddy, go tell your fellow soosools that you had the pleasure of talking to one!

I don't care what they say about you, I still insist that you can make a good activist, but its a shame, you waste your life and time on RP and Taryakis! They are only a block to the real revolution, Enghelabe Khalgh-haye Ghahramane Iran. It will happen, believe it.

Call us terrorists, call us Marxist Islamists, call us Arabs, but at the end of the day, UN recognizes us as the only legitimate opposition of Iran, we have a representative to UN, we fight the fight, we talk the talk and we walk the walk. We have the organization, the man power, the army and the guts to take on Mullahs. Your buddies have the guts to dance the night away in night clubs and snort coke in the alley behind the club! Don't make me laugh buddy! LOL

Bye SAVAK-che

Regards,
A Real Female Freedom Fighter
Liberator
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Guns For Hire

Postby Amir » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:01 pm

Lion-Heart:

This is an old topic, but when I saw the following article (link provided), I immediately thought of you and your little girlfriend, Minoo.

Here is the article on Rent-a-Demonstrator. You should forward this info to the little girl that has a crush on you (Minoo Mooshe), so that she can hire real professionals the next time the MEK wants to hold a demonstration. These ones are true Aryan Germans, tall, good-looking, and charismatic. Not like the short Mexican (Jose) and fat African (Shiniqua) demonstrators they hired last time.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1 ... 49,00.html

BTW, what’s the verdict on this thread so far? Fact, or fiction? My money is on “fiction.”
I am Dariush the Great King, King of Kings, King of countries containing all kinds of men, King in this great earth far and wide, son of Hystaspes, an Achaemenian, a Persian, son of a Persian, an Aryan, having Aryan lineage

Naqshe Rostam
Amir
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Re: NCRI - Fact or Fiction!

Postby Kargozaran » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:40 am

Mojahedin are a terrorist organization on the US terror list and wanted in Iran. Treason means death in Iran. Terrorists have no place in Iran. Iranians hate Mojahedin. Deal with it bitches.

Regards

An Iranian Entrepreneur
A New Look, A New Iran
Hame Ba Ham; Kar

Executives of Construction Party of Iran
(Hezbe Kargozarane Sazandegie Iran)
Kargozaran
Corporal
Corporal

Re: NCRI - Fact or Fiction!

Postby Minoo Mojahed » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:25 am

The only terrorist here are the Islamic Republic and its agents in America like Trita Parsi and the ones who go back and forth to Iran like you. NCRI is the only relevant Iranian opposition abroad and Mojahedin are the most hard working opposition group exposing the crimes of IRI and its agents like the Goosaleh Olagh like you.

Regards

Someone who just bitch slapped you and blew you away
Minoo Mojahed
National Council of Resistance of Iran

Minoo Mojahed
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

NCRI Iranian Opposition Protest at UN 2019

Postby Minoo Mojahed » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:14 pm

NCRI Iranian Opposition Protest at UN 2019

Regime Change in Iran by the Iranian People

NCRI, Fact or Fiction?
The Only Alternative to the Mullahs Regime
The Only Alternative to Free Iran
The Only Meaningful Resistance to IRI

UN Protests

Akhund Rouhani at interview with Chris Wallace of FOX said:

“We (IRI) are not terrorists. You (USA) refuge terrorists (NCRI) who killed 17,000 people in Iran!”

This is the lie of the century! NCRI, Mojahedin, Fadaian and other NCRI groups have never killed a single innocent person in Iran unless a few who were caught in between shootouts between Resistance and Akhund troops.

Ironically it was the Akhund Regime who killed over 40,000 NCRI, Mojahedin, Fadaian and other opposition groups in Iran. Akhund regime has blood on their hands.

View the interview and article of this filthy liar:

Rouhani Interview with Chris Wallace
https://www.foxnews.com/media/iranian-p ... ws-wallace

View NCRI protests at UN:

Thousands Say ‘No to Rouhani,’ Support Regime Change in Iran
Report From Rally by MEK Supporters at UN in New York

https://www.ncr-iran.org/en/news/iran-r ... n-new-york

MEK Supporters to Protest Rouhani in New York
https://mek-iran.com/2019/09/17/mek-sup ... -new-york/

Maryam Rajavi Updates
https://www.maryam-rajavi.com/en/

Maryam Rajavi Message to Protesters at UN
https://www.maryam-rajavi.com/en/item/m ... ted-states

The only pragmatic mean to overthrow IRI is the NCRI
The true opposition
Do you want an end to the Akhund Regime?
Join NCRI which matters.

Resistance Literature and Sites

NCRI

NCRI English
https://www.ncr-iran.org/en/

NCRI Persian
https://www.iranncr.org/

Maryam Rajavi English
https://www.maryam-rajavi.com/en/

Maryam Rajavi Persian
https://www.maryam-rajavi.com/

Media

Iran Focus
https://www.iranfocus.com/en/

Hambastegi Meli
https://www.hambastegimeli.com/

Iran Nabard
http://www.iran-nabard.com/

Efshagar
https://www.iran-efshagari.com/

Jonge Khabar
http://www.jonge-khabar.com/

Orgs.

Mojahedin English
https://english.mojahedin.org/

Mojahedin Persian
https://www.mojahedin.org/

Fadaian
http://www.fadaian.org/

NCRI Orgs.
http://www.iran-e-azad.org/english/ncri.html

Books and Papers

Maryam Rajavi Books, Interviews, Papers
http://www.iran-e-azad.org/english/president.html

American officials always support NCRI

Long Live Resistance to Akhunds

Javid Bad NCRI
Death to Akhunds
Down with IRI
Minoo Mojahed

Minoo Mojahed
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

NCRI Accusations on ISDP and Respond

Postby Atusa Qajar » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:13 am

NCRI Accusations on ISDP and Respond

Dear Members

I am neither a member of NCRI nor a member of ISDP but as an Iranian Opposition member, I support them both, the same as I support all of the Iranian Opposition groups and parties.

Lately NCRI has been accusing and exposing that ISDP members are IRI agents. In return the ISDP has conducted discussions online to clarify the situation that ISDP members are not IRI agents. Additionally, certain past members of NCRI and present members of ISDP exposed misdeeds of the NCRI and briefed on the history of NCRI crimes against their own members and exiting members.

Certain Opposition members speak of “Competing Iranian Opposition Groups”.

I believe there should be no “Competing Opposition Groups” but they should be a united front, the least they must be united on fighting IRI. There should be no competition between Opposition groups. They don’t have to be believing and conducting themselves in the same manner but at least be united in their fight against IRI.

Instead of fighting amongst themselves, they should focus on IRI.

These accusations by NCRI and counter accusations by ISDP and these discussions may shed lights on this issue. I don’t take sides but I support all sides against IRI. I am only bringing this issue to the light.

This issue is about

PMOI
https://english.mojahedin.org/

of the

NCRI
https://www.ncr-iran.org/en/

located on this page

Iran Opposition Parties 2
http://iranpoliticsclub.net/political-o ... /index.htm

versus the

Mehestan
http://isdmovement.com/Mehestan.htm

of the

Esmail Nooriala
http://www.puyeshgaraan.com/Esmail.htm

from the

ISDM
http://isdmovement.com/

of the

ISDP
https://isdparty.com/

located on this page

Iran Opposition Parties 1
http://iranpoliticsclub.net/political-o ... /index.htm

Discussion is on the video

Discussion and Investigation of ISDP of NCRI Accusations - ISDP
https://youtu.be/nvCENZCVMJ8

This letter is related to the discussion and accusations

Open Letter to Ms. Maryam Rajavi about Calling ISDP Members as IRI Agents – Sam Ghandchi
http://www.ghandchi.com/2867-maryam-rajavi-english.htm

from the

Sam Ghandchi
http://www.ghandchi.com/

of the

Iran Futurist Party
https://sites.google.com/site/futuristparty/

Iranian Opposition Groups and Parties

Iranian Opposition Parties
http://iranpoliticsclub.net/political-orgs/index.htm

I hope the Iranian opposition to seek calm amongst themselves and fire against the IRI. The focus is on IRI.

Ba Sepas
AQ
I am a Liberated Woman.
I am a Danger to Islam and Muslims.
Atusa Qajar
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Iran Tortures & Executions: Iranians Reject IRI Regime

Postby Minoo Mojahed » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:19 pm

Iran Tortures & Executions: Iranians Reject IRI Regime
Iranians don’t want the Islamic Regime

How Iran imposes strict adherence to Islamic law with severe, inhuman punishment

Video
Opposition Talks
How Iran imposes strict adherence to Islamic law with severe, inhuman punishment

https://www.foxnews.com/world/iran-isla ... punishment

Iran protesters at U.N. praise Trump, demand regime change

Iranian protesters assemble outside the United Nations General Assembly to praise President Trump and call on the U.N. to enact regime change in Iran as Britain, France, and Germany have joined the United States in blaming Iran for attacks on key in facilities in Saudi Arabia.

When news broke last month that Iran officials had cut the fingers of one of their citizens after being found guilty of theft, it served as a grim reminder that the regime is built on a heavy-handed and repressive apparatus that enforces strict adherence to Islamic law.

Iran cuts prisoner’s fingers off after finding him guilty of theft, report says
https://www.foxnews.com/world/iran-cuts ... -off-theft

FOX News Iran
https://www.foxnews.com/category/world/conflicts/iran

Should the law be broken, Iranians potentially face severe, cruel and inhuman punishment.

Warning: Graphic Content

Amputation

https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews. ... ?ve=1&tl=1
Authorities carry out the court-ordered amputation of the fingers of a convicted thief in a public square in the southern Iranian city of Shiraz, Thursday, Jan. 24, 2013. (AP)

Cruel and inhumane punishments such as amputations are imposed by Iranian courts for crimes like theft, also punishable by flogging. Amnesty International recently reported that Iranian authorities cut off the hand of a man in prison accused of stealing. The government claims that the Iranian people welcome such punishments for those who disrupt public order without acknowledging the domestic movement to abolish the practice or the vast condemnation from the international community.

Iran: Authorities committing torture by cruelly amputating man’s hand - Amnesty
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/ ... mans-hand/

Flogging

Many different crimes can warrant a flogging punishment including crimes that fall within the authority of the morality police that disturb the social fabric.

People who commit crimes such as theft can face arcane flogging sentences as codified by the Iranian penal code, according to Amnesty International. A flogging punishment can also be handed out for blasphemy charges and for what officials describe as “financially corrupt” individuals and “saboteurs of the economy.” Many different crimes can warrant a flogging punishment, including crimes that fall within the authority of the so-called "morality police" that disturb the social fabric.

Iran 2018
https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/mi ... port-iran/

Morality Police

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei reviews armed forces with Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces Gen. Mohammad Hossein Bagheri, during a graduation ceremony at Iran's Air Defense Academy, in Tehran, Iran, Wednesday, Oct. 30, 2019. (Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader via AP)

The morality police, known as Gasht-e Ershad in Farsi, is formed by Iran’s religious authorities who enforce a strict interpretation of Iran’s Islamic code of public conduct. “There are three major societal prohibitions under the jurisdiction of the morality police”, Sarah Leah Whitson, Executive Director of the Middle East and North Africa Division at Human Rights Watch, explained to Fox News.

The first prohibition is on so-called bad hijabs that don’t cover a women’s face.

“Authorities will prod, poke, and publicly shame a woman if she is improperly covered,” Whitson said. The hijab requirement is more strictly enforced in some places than others and there is a strong and vibrant movement among women to reject hijab laws, with many suffering arrest and jail time. Human Rights Watch has documented Iran’s crackdown on women violating the compulsory law to wear the hijab. In July 2019, a mother and daughter were sentenced to prison for defying the public dress code. Women continue to revolt against the law despite the risk of an unjustified lengthy imprisonment.

Iranian Women Rebel Against Dress Code
https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/08/06/ira ... ress-code#

IRAN’S NEW CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
https://www.amnesty.org/download/Docume ... NGLISH.PDF

The second prohibition is on drinking and selling alcohol. Breaking into the homes of people suspected of drinking alcohol is a common tactic used by the police, Whitson explained. Amnesty International reported in July 2018 that a man was tied to a tree and flogged 80 times for a charge he had received a decade earlier for drinking alcohol when he was a teenager.

Adultery between consenting adults, considered a particularly egregious crime, is the third prohibition and can be punishable by up to 100 lashes and even death. The Islamic penal code also does not explicitly prohibit stoning and a judge has the discretion to impose stoning as a penalty for extramarital relationships, although it has not been implemented in Iran in many years now. The morality police routinely harass and flog citizens for innocent displays of affection deemed morally inappropriate like hugging, kissing in public and homosexual acts.

This type of public moral authority is not restricted to Iran but is endemic across the Middle East North Africa region. Saudi Arabia, Sudan, and even the relatively progressive and Western oriented Moroccan monarchy have police forces tasked with enforcing morality laws and dress codes.

Iran
Events of 2018

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2019/c ... pters/iran

Mass protests and repression

The rise of globalization and the democratization of communications and social media platforms mean the Islamic Republic must take a firm stance against free speech and assembly. During the 2009 Green Movement, Iranians took to the streets in response to the fraudulent reelection of hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, with some analysts projecting the possibility of the overthrow of the regime. Protesters were met with mass arrests and live ammunition. Protests sporadically broke out in small pockets of Iran in early 2017 as well, and security forces arbitrarily arrested 4,900 people during the protests, according to Human Rights Watch.

Executions

ran is one of the world’s leading states of capital punishment. According to an Amnesty International global report on death sentences and executions, Iran executed 256 people in 2018, which was actually a significant drop from the 507 people sentenced to death in 2017.

https://www.amnesty.org/download/Docume ... NGLISH.PDF

Iranian policemen prepare Hossein Kavousifar for his execution by hanging in Tehran on Aug. 2, 2007. (Reuters)

At least 13 people were hanged in public and at least seven people were sentenced to death for crimes they committed before turning 18, according to the same report.

Majid Kavousifar and Hossein Kavousifar, his nephew, hang from the cable of a crane in Tehran, Aug. 2, 2007. Iran hanged Majid and Hossein, the killers of a judge who had jailed several reformist dissidents, before a crowd of hundreds of people. (Reuters)

The Amnesty International report also indicates that Iran extracts confessions from prisoners through various forms of torture and other dehumanizing treatment in order to convict and execute someone in clear violation of international norms and standards. Extracted confessions and public executions are sometimes broadcast on state television, a surreal method to ensure public compliance of the law.

Other offenses considered punishable by death include same-sex relations and insulting the Prophet. Drug-related offenses, once considered punishable by death in some cases, were removed from the penal code as a penalty.

Terrorism charges

The penal code also has a very loose definition of “treason,” which includes crimes as vague as “acts against national security,” “questioning the leaders policies” and participation in “insurrectional movements,” a catchall term generally reserved for any dissident or anti-government protesters who dare speak out against the central government.

“Iran persistently uses national security and terrorism charges to crack down on critics of the government – this is one of the most common and problematic human rights abuses in Iran,” Whitson, from Human Rights Watch, said.

While Iran’s bellicose regional behavior, support for insurgent groups and failed efforts at nuclear negotiations dominate news about the country, the country does possess a degree of political diversity and individual agency compared to some of its neighbors, including Saudi Arabia. There is an elected parliament and presidential elections that are hotly contested, with multiple candidates vying for power across the political spectrum.

Iran
Events of 2017

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2018/c ... pters/iran

“In some ways, Iran is in fact far more democratic, with an elected parliament, and more diversity of opinion than their peers in the region, but there is still an extremely paranoid judicial and security apparatus that suspects critics of the government to be agents of evil actors abroad," Whitson cautioned.
Minoo Mojahed

Minoo Mojahed
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PreviousNext

Return to Iran Room