Dr. Kaveh Farrokh at Stanford

Discuss various issues & post various subjects, not belonging in any other room, over here. Announce & discuss various cultural events, concerts, shows, plays, movies, seminars, poetry nights, dance parties, standup comedies, gatherings, reunions, soccer & sports events, Persian cuisine & fine dining, love & romance, relationships & marriage & all other general topics here.

Moderator: Club Operations

Postby IPC » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:53 pm

It is with pleasure to inform you that Dr. Kaveh Farrokh will be at Stanford University as an invited speaker for this forthcoming week. Here is his itenerary:

[A] Sunday July 30, 1 PM at the Stanford Bookstore.  Kaveh will provide a 20 minute presentation on his latest book on Sassanian Cavalry. He will be joined by 5 other authors, including Ali Jafarey, the author of “The Zarathushtrian Religion, A Chronological Perspective, Vol 1 The Avestan Periodâ€
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds (English)
Pendare Nik, Goftare Nik, Kerdare Nik (Modern Persian)
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta (Avestan Persian)
IPC
General
General

Postby Amir » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:58 am

Thanks for the info.

I’m always looking for more historical articles or textbooks regarding Achaemenid and especially Sassanid times. It is even better if that text is not tainted by Greek or Roman influence. I’m going to look up this author’s work.
I am Dariush the Great King, King of Kings, King of countries containing all kinds of men, King in this great earth far and wide, son of Hystaspes, an Achaemenian, a Persian, son of a Persian, an Aryan, having Aryan lineage

Naqshe Rostam
Amir
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby IPC » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:41 am

Dear good fellow Amir, how R U? Here R some info for U (DBK Style):

Check these links on Dr. Kaveh Farrokh :D
BTW, it is my understanding that Dr. Farrokh and Dr. X know each other! Dr. Farrokh is one of the few Iranian historians which Dr. X is approved of his historical knowledge! So I guess Dr. Farrokh has passed the "X Test"! :-$

Alexander, falsification of history by Oliver Stone!
http://iranpoliticsclub.net/club/viewtopic.php?t=583

Pan-Turanism Takes Aim At Azerbaijan
http://iranpoliticsclub.net/club/viewtopic.php?t=661

Dr. Kaveh Farrokh Writings
http://www.ghandchi.com/iranscope/Antho ... /index.htm

Dr. Kaveh Farrokh - Sassanian Elite Cavalry AD 224–642
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/author_ ... thor=A3153

Dear good fellow Amir, Alah (with one L) bless U (DBK Style)! :roll:

CA
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds (English)
Pendare Nik, Goftare Nik, Kerdare Nik (Modern Persian)
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta (Avestan Persian)
IPC
General
General

Postby Amir » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:20 pm

Ah, how you tease me! Don’t U know how much I miss Mr. Smith Kooni?

I’m on the market for a new pet. Know anyone that will wag its tail and greet me with enthusiasm when I get home from work the way my Old Yeller Taazi used to do?

I see Dr. Farrokh was born in Athens. I don’t know how long he spent there, but if he spent half as much time as I did, getting Greeks’ version of crap handed to me as “history,â€
I am Dariush the Great King, King of Kings, King of countries containing all kinds of men, King in this great earth far and wide, son of Hystaspes, an Achaemenian, a Persian, son of a Persian, an Aryan, having Aryan lineage

Naqshe Rostam
Amir
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby Amir » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:17 am

Back to horses.

Persia has always had a special relationship with horses and horsemanship.

1) There was some factual notion to Ferdowsi’s description of Rostam’s horse, Rakhsh. No other horse could be ridden by as powerful and grand a warrior as Rostam without collapsing. In a sense, Rakhsh represents not just a single horse, but a special breed of horse which belonged to the Parthians and Sassanids. It was that sturdy and powerful horse that the Persians were able to transform into the cataphract unit. Rakhsh was the Persian cataphract.

2) Dariush the Great wrote of Iran: “…this land, possessing great men and great horses…â€

Naqshe Rostam
Amir
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Return to General Discussions & Events Room