IN MY OUTER ORBIT: Johnny Carson

News, Commentaries & Political Discussions on USA

Moderator: Club Operations

IN MY OUTER ORBIT: Johnny Carson

Postby RonPrice » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Both Johnny Carson and his successor David Letterman have had an enormous influence on American politics in the last half century. Since posting this item Letterman's last show has come and gone(May 20, 2015. It was announced soon after that comedian & political satirist Stephen Colbert would succeed Letterman. This short piece of writing is a personal reflection on the first two men.-Ron Price, Australia
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part 1:

"Johnny" Carson(1925-2005) was an American television host and comedian, known as host of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson for 30 years (1962–1992). The show began on 1 October 1962, one month after the start of my travelling-pioneering life for the Canadian Baha’i community. At the time I was doing my matriculation studies in the small town of Dundas Ontario and had just completed my last season of baseball as an adolescent in the town of Burlington. The month and year I moved to Australia, July 1971, and started my teaching career in Australia Carson stopped doing shows five days a week.

By the mid-1970s Carson had become the highest-paid person on television at about $4 million a year, now equal to more than 13 million. I had become a teacher in a college of advanced education, now a university, and was helping the Australian Baha’i community with its Five Year Plan(1974-1979).

Part 2:

In the winter of 1980 I was recuperating from an illness and was unemployed, although I tried an unsuccessful stint as a taxi-driver in June of that year. That same winter and at Carson's request, the show cut its 90-minute format to 60 minutes. By the time he retired in 1992 Carson had become an American institution, a household word, and the most widely quoted American. During his 30 years as a talk-show host he remained in the outer-orbit of my life. I had hardly ever seen him on TV. -Ron Price with thanks to Wikipedia, 21/10/’11.

You were always on the periphery
of my life, Johnny. I did not have a
TV back then until ’77 and, from ’77
to ’92, I was busy working 60 to 70
hours every week that I went to bed
early and don’t recall ever watching
your show…….Now I am retired and
watch late-night TV and Letterman
is in your shoes as Ed Sullivan had
been in your shoes back in the ‘50s
before you walked in his. They call
you the most private public man who
ever lived. On 19 March 1999 in my last
month as a teacher you suffered a heart
attack at your home in Malibu and died
some six years later: good luck Johnny
in that Land of Lights, that Undiscovered
Country as the Bard calls that afterlife!!*

Ron Price
21/10/’11 to 23/7/'15.
Last edited by RonPrice on Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
married for 48 years, a teacher for 32, a student for 18, a writer and editor for 16 with several books published on the internet--and a Baha'i for 56 years(in 2015)
RonPrice
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Lawrence Of Persia » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:08 pm

A nice tribute, Ron.

I have noticed several of your posts since I returned to IPC several weeks ago.

At what age did you become Bahai?

How did it happen?

HM
مرگ بر رهبر :skull:
آزادی برای ایران
Lawrence Of Persia
Corporal
Corporal

Thanks, Haj Maloun

Postby RonPrice » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks, Haj Maloun. I became a member of the Baha'i Faith in 1959 at the age of 15. I was, at the time, the only person under the age of 21 in both my high school and my town, Burlington Ontario, who was a Baha'i. My mother had a big influence with her eclectic intellectual, philosophical and religious tastes. The informality, the friendliness of the Baha'is, the "many paths to God" orientation, and the fact that the activities took place in people's homes---all had an influence at the time.-Ron Price, Tasmania :-:
married for 48 years, a teacher for 32, a student for 18, a writer and editor for 16 with several books published on the internet--and a Baha'i for 56 years(in 2015)
RonPrice
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Lawrence Of Persia » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:21 am

Ron, I am going to move this to a new topic "Dialogue of Haj Maloun and Ron Price" in the General Discussions & Events Room. :D
مرگ بر رهبر :skull:
آزادی برای ایران
Lawrence Of Persia
Corporal
Corporal

No Problem

Postby RonPrice » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:27 am

That's fine by me.-Ron
RonPrice
Private First Class
Private First Class

Return to United States of America Room