Do Not Take the Liberty!

General philosophical discussions on eastern & western philosophies & religions

Moderator: Club Operations

Do Not Take the Liberty!

Postby prologicam » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:45 pm

Here is some food for your brain.

Taking the Liberty.

We often hear people saying it but do we know what it means?

What is your literal understanding of the phrase "Don't Take the Liberty!"?

Regards
Kamran
I make the difference, therefore I am.
prologicam
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Do Not Take the Liberty!

Postby prologicam » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:15 pm

prologicam wrote:Here is some food for your brain.

Taking the Liberty.

Regards
Kamran

Here is a clue: Taking the Liberty is made of three words, literal meaning of the words are: 1. "Taking"-to lay hold of (something) with one's hands. 2- "The", denoting one or more people or things already mentioned or assumed to be common knowledge 3. "Liberty"-the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views.

Now, I ask again, what is the literal understanding of the worldwide phrase "Taking the Liberty"? How con you do that?

Be brave.
Kamran
prologicam
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby prologicam » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Taking the Liberty.

Regards
Kamran

Ok, another clue is to ask yourself this: When you see a valuable item on the street and noticing that nobody is claiming for it, also knowing that it isn't yours, yet you take it and put it in your pocket. Why do you take and posses an item knowing fully that it didn't belong to you?

Be prepared
Kamran
prologicam
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby prologicam » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:21 am

Taking the Liberty.

Regards
Kamran

OK, here is the answer:

When you see an item with some value, that nobody is claiming, you will take it. The question is: Why do you take an item does not belong to you?

By taking the item you privatize it to your self. What happens if you leave it? The same way as everybody else would leave. You take the item with a theoretical excuse that if I don't take it. then somebody else would, not knowing the theory is not evident, it is a matter of self justification for a wrong doing.

What happens if you leave the item and simply walk by it? There, next person and other people would all walking by it, that item would become a statue of liberty, meaning nobody would privatize it for self.

Now, you can imagine what a place we would be living in if there was not only one like American loud and meaningless but thousands and millions of statues of liberty shining like diamonds in every corners of our streets.

That is why the saying "you mustn't take the liberty", because it is for everyone, but not for one person. Does any one person need to take that liberty for self while depriving everyone else?

Liberty is not a jewellery to wear, it is a theory that have been abolished long before we can remember, hence hard to rebuild.

Where it it all started from?

TBC
prologicam
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Lawrence Of Persia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:30 am

Baa Dorood Kamran my hamrazm.

To "take liberty" means to behave inappropriately, to try and take more than you are entitled to.

For example, a guy meets a girl and invites her out on a first date, to see a movie. At the movie he tries to fondle her breasts and her pussy through her clothes. He tries to unbutton her blouse. He is taking liberties with her.

Keep up the good fight.
LOP
مرگ بر رهبر :skull:
آزادی برای ایران
Lawrence Of Persia
Corporal
Corporal

Postby prologicam » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Lawrence Of Persia wrote:
Baa Dorood Kamran my hamrazm.

To "take liberty" means to behave inappropriately, to try and take more than you are entitled to.

For example, a guy meets a girl and invites her out on a first date, to see a movie. At the movie he tries to fondle her breasts and her pussy through her clothes. He tries to unbutton her blouse. He is taking liberties with her.

Keep up the good fight.
LOP

LOP,

It's funny your example was so waste below. Did you say that to make me understood your example easily? Well, I am not going to speculate on that, but I will soon find out.

Ok then, if the phrase falls inline with literacy word for word, how is the boy actually taking the "liberty" (the status of being free) here of the girl, what is the liberty here that the boy is actually taking, meaning possessing, collecting, owning, picking, in your case grabbing, in my case given-to or other notions that actually complies with taking.

What fight are you referring to, I don't see any? Oh, I see, you mean virtually. I thought you meant real for a couple of minutes.

Ok, I am going to do what I got to do.

See you
prologicam
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Lawrence Of Persia » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:41 pm

Ba Dorood Kamran.

Okay, here is another example:

A restaurant has valet parking.
A Mercedes drives up.
A well dressed couple get out.
The man hands the car keys to the valet.
The valet does not park the car right away.
Instead he drives it out onto the streets.
He gets on a highway and accelerates the car to over 90 mph.
Then he drives to a Burger King and has a hamburger.
Finally he drives back to the restaurant and parks the car.

We say that the valet has "taken liberties" with the Mercedes.

It is an English expression, not to be taken literally word for word.

If you say to me, "Thanks for placing a watermelon under my arm", if I try and take you literally word for word then I will have no idea what you mean.

Ba Sepas,
LOP
مرگ بر رهبر :skull:
آزادی برای ایران
Lawrence Of Persia
Corporal
Corporal

Postby prologicam » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:33 am

Dorood ROP

OK, here are my answers:

The valet person took the liberty, or could have taken too many liberties, for pluralization purpose.

Presuming the owner of the car had legally purchased the documents of ownership, he was at liberty to do whatever he would like to do with the car unless he hurts others.

The valet person was not at liberty to drive the car outside. So where did he get the liberty/freedom from? He didn't purchased it or had the consent of the owner, he wasn't legally authorized, so he took what was belonged to the owner of the car, the liberty or freedom to drive the car.

Now, if owner of the car needed his car sooner than expected, he would not have the freedom to it, because his liberty/freedom at that time was in possession of the valet person, he had taken the liberty, kept it to himself by privatizing it which in turn had restricted the owner's freedom to his rights.

If you say to me, "Thanks for placing a watermelon under my arm", if I try and take you literally word for word then I will have no idea what you mean.

I would neither say that to you nor write it to you in English, it would be meaningless. It's a term belongs to a right environment, you don't qualify it, for starter, it has to be specified that it is a water melon, not any other melon, then translation is out of concept, becomes something of uncompromisable joke, like the most famous picture of the Russia to the picture of a sickle but not to mean anything to an American teen. However, all expressions do have foundations and can be taken literally.

Sepas
prologicam
Private First Class
Private First Class

Return to General Philosophy & Religion Room